1kg chopped beef bones
250g cheap beef cuts (cheek)
2.5L cold water
4 cloves garlic
30g root ginger, sliced
2 shallots, peeled and cut in half
3cm piece of cinnamon stick
3 star anise
1 black cardamom pod, cut in half
4 tbsps fish sauce
Ingredients: to serve
300g beef rump steak, sliced
400g fine rice noodles
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 small red chillies, chopped
Handful of sweet basil, coriander and mint
2 limes, cut into six pieces
Cracked black pepper
1. In a frying pan, toast the ginger and shallots until blackened.
2. Place beef bones and cheek in pan and cover with the cold water. Bring to boil; skim off any scum.
3. Reduce heat. Add the ginger, shallots and remaining stock ingredients; simmer gently for 3-4 hours. Do not let it boil rapidly – liquor will turn cloudy and bitter.
4. Remove beef cheek, then strain stock. Keep hot in a clean pan.
5. Blanch rice noodles in boiling water; drain.
6. Slice cheek into slivers.
7. Arrange noodles in bowls and top with raw and cooked slices of beef.
8. Pour over the boiling stock; sprinkle with spring onions.
9. Serve with remaining garnish.